Owner, The Silent Mind and
Your Best Defense Martial Art Center
7th Degree Black Belt
Tim has devoted most of his life to pursuing knowledge in martial arts, yoga, and other healing and spiritual practices. He began his studies at the age of 9 and has never stopped learning. In addition to his 49 plus years of martial arts training, Tim has been practicing yoga and meditation since 1981.
Tim presents the sum of his knowledge and experience in classes through The Silent Mind and Your Best Defense Martial Arts Center. Tim teaches: T’ai Chi Ch’uan, Yi Ran Dao Kung Fu, Jujutsu, and Meditation.
Tim is available for private instruction at the studio by appointment.
Tim is also available to visit your school, group, or club to lecture on such topics as
Practical Self-Defense, Stress Management, and Regaining Peace of Mind.
- 1967 – Started in Minna Jiu-Jitsu at the Mayfield Academy of Self-Defense with Frank F. Kovacs, 10th Dan Grand Master.
- 1971 – Attained the rank of 1st Dan Black Belt (junior division) at age 12.
- 1974 – Tested for senior division Black Belt on 16th birthday. Promoted to 2nd Dan Black Belt senior division, skipping senior division 1st Dan. Tim was the first in the history of Minna Jiu-Jitsu to skip a Black Belt rank.
- 1977 – Attained 3rd Dan Black Belt.
- 1980 – Assisted Mr. Kovacs in self-defense instruction of rookie police officers in the cities of Chagrin, Orange, Hunting Valley, Woodmere, and Bainbridge.
- 1980 – Attained 4th Dan Black Belt.
- 1981 – Elected Treasurer of the Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt Federation of the USA (J.J.B.B.F.).
- 1981 – Appeared on Morning Exchange, Afternoon Exchange, PM Magazine, and the Dave Patterson Show with Mr. Kovacs promoting and demonstrating Minna Jiu-Jitsu.
- 1981 – Began practicing Transcendental Meditation.
- 1983 – Attained 5th Dan Black Belt.
- 1984 – Began instruction in T’ai Chi Ch’uan, Ch’i Kung, and Shaolin Kung Fu with Master Vincent Gentiluomo.
- 1985 – Received 1st advanced technique in Transcendental Meditation.
- 1985 – Elected Vice President of the J.J.B.B.F.
- 1990 – Attained the rank of 6th Dan Black Belt.
- 1991 – Received 2nd advanced technique in Transcendental Meditation.
- 1991 – Elected President of the J.J.B.B.F.
- 1992 – Founded Your Best Defense Corporation.
- 1992 – Conducted numerous Self-Defense lectures and Seminar for Nestles and Stouffers in Cleveland.
- 1993 – Conducted numerous Self-Defense lectures and Seminars for Society National Bank (today KeyBank) in and around the Cleveland area.
- 1994 – Began practicing Sudarshan Kriya Yoga.
- 1994 – Moved Your Best Defense Corporation to its new headquarters in Twinsburg.
- 1994 – Began instructing T’ai Chi Ch’uan and Self Defense for the city of Twinsburg.
- 1996 – Began instructing T’ai Chi Ch’uan for the city of Aurora.
- 1998 – Began instructing T’ai Chi Ch’uan for Hudson Community Education.
- 2001 – Began instructing T’ai Chi Ch’uan and Kids Martial Arts for the Macedonia Fitness Center.
- 2002 – Devoted full-time efforts towards building Your Best Defense Martial Arts Center.
- 2002 – Partnered with Body Technic Systems and Stretching-the-Limits 2 delivering T’ai Chi Ch’uan and martial arts training and outreach programs to adults, children, and seniors.
- 2003 – Began studies with Sarah Weiss in Light Journey, spiritual training focusing on the awareness of self through the cultivation of energy (qi or prana).
- 2005 – Founded The Silent Mind, a holistic center of Enlightened Fitness. Your Best Defense Martial Art Center is located within The Silent Mind.
- 2005 – Became an ordained minister through the Inner Light Ministry, the culmination of the Light Journey studies.
- 2006-2012 Received training in GAP (Gentle Awakening Process) designed to integrate consciousness and establish permanent peace of mind.
- 2007-2013 Receive weekly Deeksha entrainments designed to raise consciousness towards enlightenment.
- 2007-2011 Studed with Wu Shangwei, 34th generation Master Shaolin Monk. Wu Shangwei traveled to Twinsburg and I travel to China.
- 2008 – Traveled to China for short training session at Shaolin Temple.
- 2008 – Attended workshop with Chen Youza, lineage holder of Chen Family T’ai Chi Ch’uan.
- 2009 – Completed level 1 training in Knife Fighting & Defensive Tactics in Knife Fighting conducted by Guru Felix Valencia of Valencia Lameco Eskrima, Los Angeles.
- 2009 – Promoted to 7th Dan Black Belt through The United Self-Defense Federation.
- 2010 – Certified Deeksha blessing giver by the Oneness University, India
- 2012 – Traveled to China for training session at Shaolin Temple and Wudang Dragongate Kung Fu school
- 2015 – Celebrated 10 year anniversary of the founding of The Silent Mind in Twinsburg, Ohio.
- 2016 – Awarded Black Sash and title of Si Fu in Ch’i Kung Fu Dao Shaolin kung fu culminating 30+ years of training in kung fu and T’ai Chi.